Monday, April 22, 2013

Leaning Something New: How to Blog

My first attempt at blogging is going to be about a project I helped my nephew make made for my niece.  
 
DIY Memory Game

First things first.  Get inspired. Looking around on Pinterest I found some ideas here and here. Then off to the store for hands on inspiration.  

  
This is what I came up with.  Some wooden ovals and a wooden box.  Very inexpensive.  First unscrewed the hinges and clasp to paint the box.  I spray paint EVERYTHING.  I love spray paint.  While the pink paint was drying on the box and the black paint was drying on the ovals, I got to work on the "front" side of the ovals. 
It is important for the "front" sides to be as uniform as possible.  If you have smart little critters kids at home you know they will memorize which card is which for a not very fair game of Memory.  Because of this I went with a solid color paper with texture.  I opened up Word and typed up the title of the game, "Samantha & Eric's Memory Game".  Then just cut and paste over and over til the whole page was covered.


Then I pulled out my super duper handy Silhouette SD.  Measure the oval and set up a page of ovals to cut out.  Keep it simple.




Next pull out your Mod Podge and get all those ovals glued down.

While the "Podge" is drying start working on the photos part of your memory game.  This is a gift from brother to sister, so I decided to make this only pictures of the two of them together.   I again went to Word and inserted the picture.  Sized it to fit then copy and pasted to make 2 of the same size.
And print onto photo paper. And cut with a straight edge and exacto knife if you have it.

Once the "front" side dries, you can turn them over and Mod Podge the pictures on.


Back to the box.   The bottom needed a little finishing.  I cut a piece of black felt to fit the bottom.  Use rubber cement to glue it down.

I decided to add a few pictures to the outside of the box.  There were just so many cute pictures of these kiddos. 


Mod Podge the whole box.  All around.
I used letter stickers to give this game a name.  Also "Podge" this part.

Things are starting to dry!

Brother helped with the "Pogding" and screwing the box back together.




Brother also added a special message to the bottom.

Personal Memory Game, ready to go!  Make sure everything has dried completely before stacking them together, they will stick together!!

Wrapped and ready for Sissy =)
Go get inspired.


2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! What a great idea and welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT IS GREAT!!! I am so impressed, KK. You need to post the Hungry Caterpillar on here that you made for Madelyn!!

    ReplyDelete